Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

God, If You Let A Man Like That Go. . . .


I do a lot of driving in Dallas.

Passing the yard signs for Romney/Ryan, and Jeb Hensarling,  I shuttered to think what type of neighbors I have? I can't help but wonder if these folks are the "Seniors" in the area, or maybe there's some "Highland Park money" in east Dallas that I don't know about? Though their numbers are sparse, their presence is felt. What's not felt is the support for President Obama. 4 Years ago every other yard had an Obama sign in it, 2/3's of the cars on the road were covered in O's. In my hood -which consists of about 1500 homes- There are no Obama signs, no stickers. Barely a one...
If they're like me, they've decided to support the presidents' reelection without advertisement.
Living in today's Texas it's just not worth it. It's not worth the risk of having our tires slashed, our houses sprayed with bullets, or firebombed.
Thank you Texas Tea Party.
Thank you for all your good work...

I whipped into Racetrack to fill up. There was a car wreck in front of the station -pretty bad one- and an attendant outside emptying the trash cans. I hopped out and started to tend to the fuel,  I asked the attendant if anyone was hurt -fire and ambulance were on the scene- he said "no, don't look like it" The name on his shirt said "Robert." He was an African American man about my age(40), "thank the Lord nobody was injured" Robert said. I said 'yes, thank the Lord.'

http://stephanmonteserin.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/racetrac.jpg

Seeing the wreck and surveying the damage I uttered, 'insurance will take care of that, that's why they make us have it.' Robert nodded, we both agreed, cars were easier to replace than people.  If you've ever had your car damaged by someone else, and you've gone through the insurance process, then you realize how important it is for ALL of us to have it. Robert seemed to be on my wave.
I exclaimed, 'and that's why they should allow ALL of us have access to HEALTHCARE, as well!!!'
Robert looked at me and smiled.


 I popped the cap and began fueling, I told Robert from where I was standing, it seemed that the blood of our ancestors was enough of a price to guarantee affordable healthcare for all. He concurred and added, "my Brother and my Auntie both served in Iraq, when they came home, they never looked the same again..." "We can't let those who fight to protect our freedom, we can't let them down when they get back home." I agreed, those folks are 'serving and deserving,' I said,  'and those folks are the 47%.' The very people charged with keeping us safe abroad, are the ones who according to Mitt Romney,  "take no responsibility for their lives." Think about that.
Also, I couldn't help but be reminded of all the veterans benefits that have been blocked by the Republican congress during Obama's first term. Don't forget that.

The bell on the pump rang out, my credit card accepted, I was on my way.
I told Robert, 'Looks like WE know who we're voting for!' He laughed and continued to service the station. As I drove away I was reminded of a scene from the 1998 movie, Primary Colors.
Great movie.
(I mean really great. For me it's one to watch again and again.)

Our exchange reminded me of a scene from the Mike Nichols film.
Cut to a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts shop at night.
It's brilliantly lit with bright neon green and warm pink...  
Inside sits Gov. Stanton and a shop employee pouring his coffee, Danny.
Henry, the Governors aid, walks in with bad news...
You know the scene...
And these problems are nothing compared to what folks go through.

                Losing their jobs, losing their homes.

                Keep that in mind.

                Keep the folks in your mind.

                It's about them, isn't?

                It's about them. It's about history.

                That's truer for Susan than for me.

                It's always been about them.

                Like this fella, Danny Scanlon.

                He's worked every day since he was 14.

                Couldn't get insurance, couldn't get his leg fixed.

                Doesn't complain. Doesn't do any one any harm.

                Aching to do good.

                God, if you let a man like that go down. . . .

                you don't deserve to take up space on the planet.

                We won't let him go down.
http://www.krispykremetexas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/krispy-kreme-you-know-by-the-glow.jpg
This election isn't about billionaires and multimillionaires.
It's about the 'Roberts' and the 'Danny's' out there.
Don't let them go down.
Vote Obama!

1 comment: