Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Be Cool or Be Cast Out

Suffragettes protesting at the 1920 Republican Convention. Left to right: Mrs. James Rector, Mary Dubrow, and Alice Paul. Sign reads:
"No self respecting woman should wish or work for the success of a party that ignores her self." - Susan B. Anthony, 1872


I caught some of Whitney Houston's funeral yesterday. I always love seeing a glimpse into the black church. Talk about a soulful bunch of people. Their music and enthusiasm is infectious.

As I watched, I couldn't help but be reminded about what's going on in Washington D.C. right now with regards to women's rights.

You see, no one has suffered more in this country than black folks and women.

They all have a certain resolve that I admire. A calmness of knowing, faith, and frustration.

I thought about Whitney and her tremendous success, and I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to grow up in America as a black women.

Can you?

I tell u what: Black folks and women of all colors, don't expect anything from this country, so when they don't get it, they're not disappointed.

I felt at peace, and a little silly, knowing that these people weren't as upset with the system, and it's cruelty towards them, as I was. At least they didn't show it, they never show it, they just chalk it up as "life in America," then they move on. Their strength and perseverance is amazing to me...

Question:

Are women of all colors going to be silent about their rights being stripped away by a panel of men in 2012?

Or,

will they MAKE their voices be heard this November?

No comments:

Post a Comment