Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Second "Look" Inside Sun City

In the old Comanche lands of the northern hill country of Texas, there lies a retirement community the likes of which you've never seen. A massive, conservative, voting block of tea-publicans who cling to their "clean" and often exclusionary society with vim and vigor.  Sun City is the name, Georgetown,TX is the place.

Having grown up in Texas, I'm no stranger to the tea-publican mind. I've got more than a few friends who would shout, "Don't Tread on Me," at anytime.
Being of sound mind and liberal body, I often banter with these friends and give them my progressive perspective as best I can. We visit G-Town from time to time and I've been privy to an inside look at this other place they call, "Sun City."

I'll never forget sitting outside the voting precinct on election day--helping a friend and President to be-- at the Sun City Rec. Center in Nov. '08.  I was wearing an Obama shirt and a Cowboy hat.
I was all but accosted... (Seniors=Buzzard$)

Recently we re-visited my right-wing brethren of the dry, ancient lands of central Texas.
As most men of a certain age do, we like to play golf. Guess where we played???

The first 9 holes were a bit rough on us, we'd had a full tournament of Texas Hold Em at the local watering hole the night before.
We needed to stop in at the clubhouse bar for a refreshment.
That's where our story begins and my compadres perceptions about their wise, respected neighbors end...

You see, Suuuunnnnn Ciiiiiiiiiiitttttty's got a Drag Queen in it!
And it freaked out my foursome.

Being the metro sexual that I am, and having chosen a more open society to live in(Dallas), I was engaging in normal conversation with Jennifer, the transvestite behind the bar. Who, as it turns out, owns and runs the place.

I found she and her restaurant to be charming and good. The other three of the foursome got mixed reviews.

Mr. P was the first to stare and shake his head, while Mr. W had already gone into a quiet denial. A zombie-like trance that was unusual, even for him. Mr. S, always the mathematician, was already calculating a "yes sir," or "yes ma'am" answer scenario in his mind, and his follow up response,  should he guess wrong.  As this "trans-fusion" went on, I spoke with Jennifer about a Lee Trevino signed painting on the wall. She gave me a big red smile, her gold earrings shining, her blouse fluttering, her Lucile Ball wig shifting as she served us our sandwiches and beverages to go. We bid her farewell and were out the door. Mr. P muttered to the golf pro, "Why?" The pro responds, "you just gotta get used to it."

As we converged on the 10th, the mood was somber to say the least. Mr. W, who was still coming to terms with what he'd seen, took several intense practice swings as did Mr. S.
It's hard to put into words how disturbed Mr. P was, and still is for that matter.
The Marshall approached, confirmed all their fears and added that the "he-she" could outplay us shot for shot from the blue tees.
Mr. P abused his clubs, kicked the golf cart, paced around, and loudly exclaimed, "Why, why, why would you do that!?"

I remained calm through all this.
I enjoyed every bite of my sandwich as I realized what was really going on in Sun City and what it meant to live there.

Today, Mr. P is sitting at his desk still asking the question, "why would you?" A question asked by many at dinner tables across Sun City.
Jennifer responds, in a much deeper voice, "You want honey mustard on that?"

Never let it be said the tea-publicans of Sun City,TX aren't an all inclusive bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment